To say there has been a bit of confusion about the Covid-19 vaccine for the under 60’s over the last weeks is an understatement!
Hopefully the following helps clear a few things up!
- The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) recommends the COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine as the preferred vaccine for those aged 16 to under 60 years.
- The COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca can be used in adults under 60 years for whom;
- The Pfizer vaccine is not available
- The benefits are likely to outweigh the risks for that individual
- The person has made an informed decision based on an understanding of the risks and benefits.
- At present at YFD we only have the AstraZeneca vaccine available.
- Sites for Pfizer vaccinations on the Central Coast can be found via the eligibility checker (for patients aged between 40 – 60, and/or in category 1a and 1b) and we encourage eligible patients to check availabilities at these vaccination clinics. https://covid-vaccine.healthdirect.gov.au/eligibility
- If you are under the age of 60, unable to access the Pfizer vaccine and you wish to have the AstraZeneca vaccine we recommend you discuss with your doctor to go through a risk-benefit assessment https://www.health.gov.au/…/covid-19-vaccination…
- Advice and guidelines do change frequently based on best available evidence and the availability of vaccines.