From July 11th, ATAGI has updated eligibility for additional (second) COVID-19 winter booster doses to help reduce serious illness from COVID-19:
- People aged 50 years and over are now recommended to get an additional winter booster
- People aged 30 years and over are now also eligible to receive an additional winter booster dose if they want.
This is in light of an increase in COVID-19 cases due to the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants
The interval between booster doses or following a recent COVID-19 infection is now reduced to 3 months.
If you were previously recommended to get an additional winter booster dose you are strongly encouraged to get it as soon as you are due, as you are at higher risk of serious illness from COVID-19. This includes:
- all adults aged 65 years or older
- residents of aged care or disability care facilities
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years or older
- people who are severely immunocompromised (this will be their fifth dose)
- people aged 16 years or older with a medical condition that increases the risk of severe COVID-19 illness
- people aged 16 years or older with disability, significant or complex health needs, or multiple comorbidities which increase the risk of a poor outcome.
A second booster dose is not currently recommended for people under the age of 30 years.
If you’re due for a booster, don’t delay.
More information: http://www.health.gov.au/…/atagi-updated…
At YFD we have the Pfizer COVID vaccine available, and appointments are available most days of the week. Patients that fulfil the eligibility criteria as above, can book online for their additional booster via hotdocs https://www.hotdoc.com.au/medical-centres/erina-NSW-2250/your-family-doctors-at-erina/doctors
FIRST COVID BOOSTER DOSE – If you’re 16 years or over and had your second COVID-19 vaccine three or more months ago, you will be eligible for your booster dose. Health authorities at this stage do not recommend a booster dose for those under 16 years unless you have complex health needs (please discuss this with your doctor first) . Presently we have Pfizer vaccine appointments available most days of the week by booking online.
PAEDIATRIC PFIZER VACCINE – If your child aged between 5 – 11 has not had their paediatric Pfizer vaccine yet – please call reception to make an appointment. These appointments cannot be made at the same time as the Adult Pfizer vaccine as a different vaccine vial is used.